Monday, December 7, 2009

Little things won't save the planet....

As sad as it is, recycling and buying new appliances aren't going to save the planet.

Eliminating carbon emissions right now may work, it probably would still be too late for the icecaps and with them the polar bears and penguins. But this week in Copenhagen the President is meeting with the heads of state of countries all over the world. We are all affected by the warming of our planet, the wanton destruction of habitat, mass pollution of the oceans, etc. The leaders most able to combat this destruction are the ones least affected by its effects. The residents wealthy first world nations can afford to export our garbage, even fund mass evacuations in the event of hurricanes and flooding.

We can ignore the evidence of global warming, even allow a large contingent of our population , nearly 50% deny that global warming exists or poses a significant problem. Our government reflects this lack of concern. Our World is dying and we have our heads in the sand. It is a huge problem. It is overwhelming to ponder this, as its effects will be seen in 100 years when our world does not change, and the sacrifices required have very real effects in the current economy and society.

As this all plays out, I hope that President Obama works hard to gain approval for a steep reduction in carbon emissions, drastic steps towards cleaning up our earth. It is probably impossible to do very much in such a setting. As I mentioned in a previous post, Drastic measures are needed and will not happen.

Though I know my efforts are small and ineffectual on a large scale I believe that in addition to my own effects my example can be circumspect so that I may inspire others to live in a better way. Here are my efforts to live in an environmentally responsibly way;
1. Living situation-- We are living in a 1400 sq ft house, and we will not upgrade to anything larger ever. We are committed to living efficently, in town where we can walk to school, bike to work, and drive short distances when needed.
2. St vincent DePaul---My favorite environmental activity, I try and get everything used. It is cheaper for us, great for the SVDP Charity, and apparently good for the planet
3. Reusable shopping bags-- I abhor plastic bags. Yuck.
4. Vegetarian --I don't eat meat, The rest of us are omnivores, but I like to think that we are a bit more conscientious of our carbon footprints, and definately are below average in meat consumption.
5. Garden . We have a garden. Our yard, which is the typical .25 acre, is slowly transforming into a productive edible smorgasborg of gardeny bliss. Last year we added raspberries. This spring we will hopefully add some fruit trees and grow some melons.
6. Clothesline In the summer I use the clothes line to dry our laundry. We use the dryer for underwear and when it rains. I love to say that out 'energy star dryer' consists of some string and clothes pins.
7. Voting I take every oppertunity to vote for representatives who support the long term health of our planet and the people who live here.

Here are the things I am doing which are not great for the environment;
1. House. I live in a single family home. Our apartments were much more efficent and environmental.
2. Large Family I have 4 children and I may have more. The environmental movement is at its heart about population. I am a good mother, so I believe that will counteract their environmental impact. I also believe that the purpose of the earth is for people to live here responsibly and happily. Does this mean that I should have 5 kids? I am not sure. I am conflicted about this, but I do know that I am a good mother. Perhaps a better solution for the future would be foster children.
3. Disposable diapers. The carbon footprint is about the same as cloth diapers, but they do contain plastic which I abhor. Sorry environment. I will just plant some more trees to offset this.

It is easy to tell other people what they should do, much mroe difficult to lead by example. I am sure that I have a lot more that I can do to lessen my negative impact. Interestingly, poverty tends to make everyone more green. Living in an efficent apartment versus a large home; Driving a small car with great gas mileage versus owning several;

Perhaps the economic downturn will effect some of the environmental change that we will not initiate ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment