Friday, April 30, 2010

math in these united states

help. the quality of math education in this country is abysmal. I have been reading math teacher blogs in preparation to go back and get certified, then teach high school math. this has been a goal of mine for some time. However the more I read, the more discouraged I get. Teaching is hard, and our standards are so low, children are not challenged. My 3rd grader is top of his class, working at a very high level, and yet, is probably behind compared to kids his age from any other country.
This summer I am engaging in an intensive three-month long math discovery summer boot camp for my kids. I do want to teach math to all children, improve the abilities of kids everywhere, but for now I am teaching my own children. The best learning is done when children build the math concepts themselves. This is difficult to implement in a classroom, but I hope to achieve this with a series of hands on activities and projects this summer.

I am also doing other projects too, here is the master summer school plan;

personal weather station;
we will record the daily weather on the weather underground and become an official station.

Probability and statistics; ratios
figure out most common letters in the language by finding them in print
collect data and graph it in various ways collect info from the weather station, track growth of grass vs. amount of rain.

learn the bones of the body and Muscles via anatomy coloring book.

geometry-
learn shapes, polygons, platonic solids, types of triangles, why shapes work the way they do, measuring angles, area and circumference.

No comments:

Post a Comment