Sunday, March 13, 2011

protesting update



Protesting is really hard. It is not just some self-serving self-righteous cake walk, yes there is sometimes free pizza, but it is also really cold. My arms are getting stronger from holding up signs, and recently I have been trying to fit my running back into my life by running "laps of shame" for the shameful actions of the government. Friday I did 5 laps with my jogging stroller. There was also an Elder March- senior citizens with picket signs, power wheelchairs, guitars, and banners. One lady had a walker with a sign that said "at least this walker is useful".


I love the diversity of the crowd, but when the crowd is thin, or when I talk to pro-walker supporters and hear them criticize public employees as selfish, lazy, useless, etc. It gets difficult. I mean this budget bill as it is written will mean the end of our public schools as we know them. It severely limits programs like food assistance and badger care. I hate learning that there exist people in the world who actually think that eliminating the social safety net is a good idea. I still believe strongly in what I am doing, but it gets difficult when I have to act alone.


I will go to hell and back for my assembly democrats. These people are my heroes. I also have great respect for the fabulous 14 and their flight to Illinois to delay the passage of this bill, and there is plenty of work ahead for them; there is a lot of crazy legislation being proposed, and I plan on showing up often and speaking my opposition to this radical agenda.

I now believe that the success of the protest will require exposing the TEA party and the Americans For Prosperity PAC for what they really are; racist, frightened, selfish and classist. I think that it is sad that it has come to this, but the radical right is attacking my state, so I am fighting back.

No comments:

Post a Comment